Friday, March 2, 2012

March 2, 2012 - Controlling Language

This will really just be a preview of future blog posts, but there were some minor topics to get me thinking.

We discussed the Wilbur Schramm "Fraction of Selection Formula" which, in essence, says that mankind will exert effort if the end reward isn't worth it.


What this means to writers is that if we write more than 8 words, comprehension noticeably drops off. 

Sentence                                                       Comprehension
See Spot Run                                                           High
See Spot Run for President                                     High
See Spot Run a Marathon                                       High
See Spot Run the Proletariat into the                        ?
ground through a Middle-Class Tax Hike

So if your writing isn't interesting, no one's going to want to read it!

Additionally, we discussed the power of words. If I say "hot dog," many images come to mind, both good and bad. If I say "gas station hot dog," bad images come to mind. "Plump, juicy hot dog" has the opposite effect. The word "Hot dog" is dual-coded. Depending on the word around it, different abstract connotations can be represented.

Delicious!
Disgusting!
There's a huge difference!

Think of other words that can vary in quality. . .



"Cutting" to get out of class
"Cutting" to get in line

Or how about. . .

"I'm ready to go! I have my reservation!

I'm not sure I want to go. I have my reservations. . .
Finally!

I fixed his car for him. The owner seems happy!

I fixed his dog for him! The owner seems upset. . .
Just remember that the way we use words and control language is important to any great story.


No comments:

Post a Comment