Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March 14, 2012 - Brand Conscious

No one can escape brands. In my life, at any given time, I'm surrounded by at least 5 different brands. I'm typing on my Toshiba laptop and clicking my Logitech mouse which rests comfortably on a Crystal Classics mousepad. I'm reading from my New Leaf notebook and filling out a New York Times Crossword Calendar with my Uni-ball pen by the light of my Star Wars lamp using a GE lightbulb. I'll probably print my assignment on my HP printer using Xerox paper. . . or maybe I'll just play my Parrot Bay harmonica instead.

All that was stuff that was just sitting on my desk! That's 11 brands surrounding me that I use on a regular basis. But the question is: What do these brands say about me?

The New York Times crossword and Star Wars paraphernalia clearly hint at nerdy interests.

At least I'm not this nerdy.
The New Leaf notebook hints at eco-conscious tendencies (when in reality, it was the only notebook available at the UMKC Bookstore) and Toshiba and HP are both signs of efficient, but economical mid-grade technology purchases. What do all these add up to? My brands clearly identify me as a college student



And that's how it always seems to work. People buy brands that are targeted to them, and brands target the audience they want to give their product to. It's a give and take.

Here's another important lesson to think about. When selling a product, you've got to sell not only the benefit, but also the benefitofthechange. The audience will ask themselves: Is this product worth it to me?
And from an advertising perspective, it's important the needs and desires of your audience. Let's look at an example of car purchases.

When talking cars, what is a 8-year-old most interested in?

Fast cars.

As compared to an 18-year-old?

Cheap cars.

Or a 48-year-old?

Fast cars. The circle of life.

The whole idea is to be brand conscious. Be aware of what you are buying and why? It could even tell you a little something about yourself.

Like how this guy must love his Nike shoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment